If you have a water tank that’s attached to your water heater, it needs annual maintenance. Many homeowners have no idea that water heater maintenance is a thing—but it is! And it’s very important for the efficiency of your water heater because many homes have hard water.
Hard water doesn’t necessarily pose risks to your health, but it is high in mineral content. Over time, these minerals can build up inside your plumbing, including your water tank. This build-up is called scaling, and it can prevent your water heater from effectively heating the water for your home. If you live in Harrison Township and need water heater service, give our team a call.
Signs of Water Heater Scaling
Scaling from mineral build-up happens so gradually that you may not even realize anything is wrong. But eventually, the signs become hard to ignore. Water heater maintenance helps you stay ahead of scaling and prevent it from getting bad enough to affect your home and comfort. Signs that you need water tank maintenance include:
- Hearing unusual sounds – When you hear noise inside your water tank, you may think something is really wrong. It’s usually just the sound of mineral deposits re-settling at the bottom of the tank. As water empties and refills, these deposits mix in with the water and then settle again.
- Water temperature – If you notice that your water isn’t getting as hot as it once did, scaling may be to blame. As minerals build up, they create a barrier between heating elements and your water. So your hot water isn’t as hot as you want it to be.
- Water pressure – Have you noticed that you have less water pressure when you use hot water in your home? Minerals can also block pipes and plumbing fixtures over time to decrease the amount of water reaching your sinks and showers. While this can happen with both hot and cold water, it is more common with hot water.
Expert Water Heater Professionals
Noticing the signs above doesn’t mean that your water heater will stop working at any second. However, ignoring the problem will only make it worse as time goes on. If you schedule routine water tank maintenance, our team can remove the scaling build-up to help you gain back your water heater’s efficiency.
Investing in water heater maintenance annually ensures that your tank is always in the best possible condition. Other benefits of water heater maintenance include:
- Extending the life of your water heater
- Protecting the bottom of the tank from too much wear
- Preventing leaks and overflow problems
- Improving energy efficiency
Don’t Forget About Tankless Water Heaters
Many homeowners think that a tankless water heater solves all of the problems they experienced with a tank heater. But that’s not true! Even tankless water heaters face problems with scaling, so it’s important to schedule maintenance for your tankless water heater if you have one.
Keep in mind that you can find DIY tutorials online for flushing your water system yourself. But we recommend that you leave it to our expert team. When you let professionals handle it, you know the job is done right. Plus, our team can identify other problems if there are any.
Contact Charter Home Comfort today to schedule an appointment with our professionals. Old fashioned values with tech savvy results!